Alys, Always - Harriet Lane
I came across this book last year when Fully Booked Gateway branch had a renovation sale wherein EVERYTHING is discounted with 50% off the original price. I went to the shop on the 3rd or 4th day of the sale so, unfortunately, almost all the good titles were already taken. I bought this along with 2 other books, The Fortunes Of Indigo Skye and The Unfinished Angel. To be completely honest, I only bought this book mainly because it has a pretty cover. Also considering that the book blurb is nowhere to be found. Only short reviews can be seen at the front and back of the book. I trusted the reviews and the pretty book cover. But damn, I was so wrong for having great expectations from this book.

This book talked about the general vulnerability of humans and the lengths and extremities of the things they will do to get what they want.

The book is relayed from the perspective of the main character, Frances Thorpe, who's life is so dull and uneventful until she came across an accident involving Alys Kyte. Well I really find her boring as hell and monotonous. No wonder her life is so uninteresting. I found a hard time calculating Frances and what she was up to. At first I thought, even though she's boring as fuck, she's an entirely nice person. But meh. I think because her life is just so dull, it made her do things that would give her the attention she never had. So, as I'm starting to near the end of the book, all I could honestly think of is how much of an attention whore Frances Throrpe is and how much she really wanted to squeeze into the life of the Kytes, which required a whole lot of effort from Frances. But then in the end, she got what she wanted so hurrah for her, I guess.

On the upside, I liked Harriet Lane's writing style. She put into details the feel and picture of the story although sometimes it was too much and was getting in the way of the actual story. So all in all, I'll give it two stars. I was really supposed to rate it with only 1 star but then I really loved the book cover so I'll add up another star.